In conclusion, its more powerful and flexible internal structure allows TrackStudio to have a number of important features that are unlikely to appear in Atlassian JIRA in the next few years. Here are the situations in which choosing TrackStudio instead of JIRA is especially beneficial to our customers:
- Choose TrackStudio if different teams inside your company are going to use the system. Create several independent projects, each with their own teams (departments) and their own administrators inside one system. Using one single system allows you to make administration much easier, to delegate rights and to improve integration. Besides, you will save a lot on the cost of the licenses and training.
- Choose TrackStudio if you are going to use the system both to organize work inside your company and to communicate with your customers. Atlassian developers uses JIRA primary to communicate with external users, but they do not use it to manage software development (you can read details here and here).
Having much more flexible permissions, the ability to block access to some fields in tasks for customers (spent time, priority, budget, etc.) makes TrackStudio the better choice in this case as well.
Update, September 7, 2007. Don't just believe us - please read the whole posts in the links above, and decide for yourself.
- Choose TrackStudio if your company has several major customers and you want to integrate your workflow with your customers' workflow.
The ability to customize the system individually for each customer will allow you to achieve better integration with each of them. You will be able to use one system to work with all customers, while they will not even be aware that there are other customers' projects in the system.
- Choose TrackStudio if your company manages a large number of projects. TrackStudio allows you to effectively manage thousands of projects: it is possible to arrange projects into a hierarchy, search for projects by their parameters, attach files to projects (for instance, technical specifications), create custom fields for projects (release date, customer, agreement number) and much more. If you do not want your project list to look like this page, choose TrackStudio.
- Choose TrackStudio if you want to automate a regularly modified workflow or a complex workflow consisting of a large number of states. Do several managers have to approve a task before it is complete? Need tasks to be approved concurrently? Want to include technical writing, sending invoices or user technical support in your workflow? TrackStudio will help you automate a complex and changing workflow in the much more effective way.
- Choose TrackStudio if you are going to use the system to manage software development projects. TrackStudio supports task hierarchy, which can be
used to implement Work Breakdown Structure - the key element in project management systems. You can read more detailed information about using TrackStudio for project management here.
- Choose TrackStudio if you want to integrate various services (bug tracking, help desk, knowledge base, asset management, requirements management, ...) into single system. Using single product will make integration of all departments in the company much easier: you will not have to create accounts for employees, projects, configure permissions and e-mail notification rules in each system. It will become much easier to move information from the help desk to bug tracking, and from bug tracking to the knowledge base.
- Choose TrackStudio if you use a hourly payments with employees and customers. TrackStudio allows you to make time estimates not only by projects and people, but also by operations. For example, you can find out how much time was spent on fixing high-priority bugs and how much time was spent on testing. You can specify which of your employees can enter time estimates and whether clients can view how much time developers spend. It is possible to set any limits for comments that explain what has been done (for example, software developers must write not less than 20 characters for each hour in their work in comments, while it will be not less than 30 characters for managers). More details about TrackStudio time tracking features are available here.
- Choose TrackStudio if you and your customers are located in different time zones. Every TrackStudio user can specify an individual locale and time zone TrackStudio will use to enter and display dates. For instance, if a customer from New York specifies that the problem must be solved by 10/19/07 3:02 AM, a developer in Bangalore will know that it must be finished by 19/10/07 12:32 PM.
- Choose TrackStudio if you need to integrate the task management system with your internal software. Its powerful features of e-mail notification, import from CSV files and the full-featured SOAP API make TrackStudio the better choice if you are interested in integration with other products.