Email notifications and workflow

Discuss problems installing or using TrackStudio.

Email notifications and workflow

Postby michaelneale » Wed May 14, 2003 4:18 am

I have been trying to configure the email notifications in the workflow/transitions matrixes, but I am not sure if I can achieve what I want.

I need to have only the handler (in most cases) receive email notifications - for example, when you enter an issue, and then you add a process message with a certain "developer" as the handler - we want that handler to be notified by email, and no one else. At the moment, even after configuring the notifications - everyone with a statues of "developer" gets notified.

It is not a suitable approach to restrict access on the task level, as we want everyone to be able to view things, its just the email notifications that we want to tighten. At the moment, the email notifications are too frequent and are sent to too many people that we cant use them at all. People are just ignoring them as meaningless spam. The only time we want people to receive a notification is when they are specifically assigned something - is this possible with this system?

Please help, this is pretty important to us buying this system.
michaelneale
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue May 13, 2003 3:12 pm

Re: Email notifications and workflow

Postby admin » Wed May 14, 2003 9:19 am

michaelneale wrote:I have been trying to configure the email notifications in the workflow/transitions matrixes, but I am not sure if I can achieve what I want.

I need to have only the handler (in most cases) receive email notifications - for example, when you enter an issue, and then you add a process message with a certain "developer" as the handler - we want that handler to be notified by email, and no one else. At the moment, even after configuring the notifications - everyone with a statues of "developer" gets notified.

It is not a suitable approach to restrict access on the task level, as we want everyone to be able to view things, its just the email notifications that we want to tighten. At the moment, the email notifications are too frequent and are sent to too many people that we cant use them at all. People are just ignoring them as meaningless spam. The only time we want people to receive a notification is when they are specifically assigned something - is this possible with this system?

Please help, this is pretty important to us buying this system.


Yes, you right. We can suggest following workaround:
1) Create complex project hierarchy (divide project to sub-projects, then divide subprojects to component)
2) Set access rights for developers to their components and sub-projects.

BTW, why you need "everyone to be able to view things" ?
If some module/component has many developers, but only part of them interesing in email notification about some task (because other work on different components, for example) - why they need to be able to view this tasks ?
Maxim Kramarenko (mailto: maximkr@trackstudio.com)
TrackStudio - Hierarchical Bug & Issue Tracking Software
http://www.trackstudio.com
admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8143
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 1970 3:00 am
Location: Smolensk, Russia

Postby michaelneale » Thu May 15, 2003 3:42 am

We have a pool of developers (say 4 or 5) and then some testers and a manager who may "assign" problems to easy developer as they come in.

It is nice to have all these tasks listed together in 1 list, and just assign them from there. Also, developers like to be able to scan through the list to see who is working on what (as issues may be related). Creating a subtasks and changing access rights is very time consuming...

I cant remove people from the access control list as they are "inherited item" - have I set up the users incorrectly?

We are a fairly flat organisation, with lots of people playing different roles, but we like the idea of having a single handler... any ideas?
michaelneale
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue May 13, 2003 3:12 pm

Hierarchy

Postby admin » Thu May 15, 2003 11:47 am

michaelneale wrote:We have a pool of developers (say 4 or 5) and then some testers and a manager who may "assign" problems to easy developer as they come in.

It is nice to have all these tasks listed together in 1 list, and just assign them from there.


BTW, you can list all tasks with subtasks in 1 list, please refer 'with subtasks' checkbox in Filter->Edit tab.

michaelneale wrote:Also, developers like to be able to scan through the list to see who is working on what (as issues may be related). Creating a subtasks and changing access rights is very time consuming...


We use following hierarchy: Project->Version->Module. Testers and managers has access to all project, developers has access only to related module. Each module has an alias that available in email notification subject (easy to filter email notification).

Also, each module has handler - its a default handler for all subtasks there. This allows task auto-routing - very useful feature.

michaelneale wrote:I cant remove people from the access control list as they are "inherited item" - have I set up the users incorrectly?


This is because you add those users to apper level project. Just go to upper level and delete inherited users there. Please also refer http://www.trackstudio.com/documentation-tacl.html

michaelneale wrote:We are a fairly flat organisation, with lots of people playing different roles, but we like the idea of having a single handler... any ideas?


Now you can use task alias to filter/sort email notification on client side. In the future (TrackStudio 2.7) we implement new Open API, and you can write your own adapter (very simple java class) that filter out all recipient except handlers.
Maxim Kramarenko (mailto: maximkr@trackstudio.com)
TrackStudio - Hierarchical Bug & Issue Tracking Software
http://www.trackstudio.com
admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8143
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 1970 3:00 am
Location: Smolensk, Russia

2.7

Postby michaelneale » Fri May 16, 2003 2:56 am

When is track studio 2.7 due to be available? sounds great (the API customisation)
michaelneale
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue May 13, 2003 3:12 pm

Re: 2.7

Postby admin » Fri May 16, 2003 10:15 am

michaelneale wrote:When is track studio 2.7 due to be available? sounds great (the API customisation)


Possible, end on june. New Open API implementation with some docs already available in 2.7 EAP1. We also provide 10% discount to active EAP members.
Maxim Kramarenko (mailto: maximkr@trackstudio.com)
TrackStudio - Hierarchical Bug & Issue Tracking Software
http://www.trackstudio.com
admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8143
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 1970 3:00 am
Location: Smolensk, Russia

Re: Email notifications and workflow

Postby admin » Fri May 16, 2003 7:45 pm

michaelneale wrote:I need to have only the handler (in most cases) receive email notifications - for example, when you enter an issue, and then you add a process message with a certain "developer" as the handler - we want that handler to be notified by email, and no one else. At the moment, even after configuring the notifications - everyone with a statues of "developer" gets notified.


I think about this problem - we'll implement this feature in 2.7 even without Open API.
Maxim Kramarenko (mailto: maximkr@trackstudio.com)
TrackStudio - Hierarchical Bug & Issue Tracking Software
http://www.trackstudio.com
admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8143
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 1970 3:00 am
Location: Smolensk, Russia


Return to TrackStudio Support

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

cron